You should read these troubleshooting guidelines if your PC shows XP blue screen with unmountable_boot_volume death error codes.
Fix BSoD (Blue Screen of Death) Errors on Windows XP
This guide teaches you how to troubleshoot Blue Screen (or BSoD) errors in Windows XP.
If you receive a blue screen error, but Windows XP restarts immediately and you cannot read the error text, follow these instructions to turn off the Auto-restart option:
- Right-click My Computer.
- Accessing Properties
- Click the Advanced tab.
- In the Startup and Recovery section, click the Settings button.
- Make sure Auto Restart is disabled under System Errors.
- Click OK.
If Windows fails to start, try starting it in Safe Mode following the instructions above and restarting your computer. Follow these steps to start Windows XP in Safe Mode:
- Restart your computer.
- Press F8 until the Windows logo appears
- Use cl The arrow keys and select “Safe Mode” from the “Start” menu.
- Press Enter
0x000000ED (NON-INSTALLED INITIAL VOLUME)
Blue screen error code 0x000000ED is commonly referred to as UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME. We have already described how to fix UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME in Windows XP.
In situations where the UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME error is caused by incorrect or outdated Windows partition information in the boot configuration files (BOOT.INI or BCD) for NTLDR or BootMGR, Easy Recovery Essentials can usually restore the configuration. boot with the correct options and settings so that Windows can start correctly:
- Download Easy Recovery Essentials here. Please select your version of Windows (XP, Vista, 7 or 8) before downloading
- Capture image. Follow these instructions to burn a bootable ISO very carefully, as creating a bootable CD can be difficult!
- Start Easy Recovery Essentials.
- Select the automatic recovery option and click Next.
- Select the letter of your Windows installation drive (usually C: ) and click “Automatic Repair”.
- Please wait while Easy Recovery Essentials will terminate the process.
- When the process completes, click Restart.
0x0000007B (UNAVAILABLE BOAT)
Blue screen error 0x0000007B is called INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE.